gomd-devel

Re: [gomd-devel] Gomd files committed to CVS

From: Mirko Caserta
Subject: Re: [gomd-devel] Gomd files committed to CVS
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 22:52:27 +0200

On Tue, 15 Apr 2003 21:42:53 +0200
"Gian Paolo Ghilardi" <address@hidden> wrote:

> I've just committed a new release for the gomd class (gomd.h/gomd.cpp).
> Please checkout.

Done. Looks good.

> Suggestions are welcome. :)

Are you sure? ;P

Here are mine:

the "numerical menu" system is going to suck once we have all the commands
implemented because there's a whole lot of them and it would scroll like hell.

Imagine a menu like this:

-- cut --
Hello, this is the most wonderful daemon in the world.

Commands:
1  -> some cmd
2  -> some cmd
3  -> some cmd
4  -> some cmd
5  -> some cmd
6  -> some cmd
7  -> some cmd
8  -> some cmd
9  -> some cmd
10 -> some cmd
11 -> some cmd
12 -> some cmd
13 -> some cmd
14 -> some cmd
15 -> some cmd
16 -> some cmd
17 -> some cmd
18 -> some cmd
19 -> some cmd
20 -> some cmd

gomd #

-- cut --

Well, you get it :)

Furthermore, there's no need to output the available commands each time a
request is sent. That wastes precious bytes :)

Also, I think the "numerical menu" system sucks. I want to type commands, not
numbers. They are easier to remember and to understand. In the weird case I
don't have my favourite libgomd-based-app at hand, I want to be able and telnet
myhost 9889 in order to have access to the daemon's interface.

Here is what I'd make the session look like:

-- cut --
Welcome to the general openMosix daemon on myhost (node #1346)

Available commands are: altertable, cippa, getnodeid, getnodelist, getnodeload,
getnodespeed, hostname, lippa, myckeymouse, pippo, pluto, quit, reboot,
shutdown. Type "help command" for help about a specific command.

Type "help" for a list of available commands.
address@hidden getnodeid
nodeid: 1346

Type "help" for a list of available commands.
address@hidden hostname
hostname: myhost

Type "help" for a list of available commands.
address@hidden getnodespeed
nodespeed: 16743

Type "help" for a list of available commands.
address@hidden help

Available commands are: altertable, cippa, getnodeid, getnodelist, getnodeload,
getnodespeed, hostname, lippa, mickeymouse, pippo, pluto, quit, reboot,
shutdown. Type "help command" for help about a specific command.

Type "help" for a list of available commands.
address@hidden help mickeymouse

Mickey Mouse(TM) is a wonderful and funny rat invented by Mr. Disney during the
previous millennium.

Usage: mickeymouse [avoid-cat|kill-insects|eat-stuff]

Type "help" for a list of available commands.
address@hidden quit
quit: closing connection... see ya
-- cut --

1) we have called it the "general openMosix daemon"! Be consistent and don't
change its name to "General Purpose openMosix Daemon" even if it sounds
prettier ;P (#define PROG_NAME somewhere)

2) I'd love to have the hostname printed in the welcome screen and to have it
stuck to the prompt like most default bashrc do, just in case I have 6 open
telnet connections to gomds, I don't want to feel lost :)

3) in case the hostname is not available, at least the IP address should be
provided

4) the commands' list should be displayed in alphabetical order only when the
"help" command it sent

5) having on-line help for all commands would be a wonderful feature but maybe
we don't need that right now ;)

Well, these are my suggestions. Probably some of them do suck also so please
feel free to yell at me :)

> PS: in next release I'll put also the docs (auto)generated via Doxygen.

Good to know but, please, do not put the auto-generated docs into the CVS
repository. I can tell you by personal experience that maintaining
autogenerated-docs there is a blood-bath :/

You should instead put a target in the Makefile which calls doxygen and puts
the generated docs under a "docs" dir, then also have a "distdocs" target which
makes a tarball (or zip file) of that dir and puts it under /tmp. That file
should be uploaded and released into the "Files" section of our website.

Just my 2 euro cents ;)

Ciao, Mirko.
--
100% Money Back Guarantee - The First Pharmaceutical to ever be guaranteed.
                -- spam message from "Kris Kent"