goptical

Re: [Goptical] Configure Error on Install

From: Dibyendu Majumdar
Subject: Re: [Goptical] Configure Error on Install
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2020 21:39:20 +0100

On Wed, 10 Jun 2020 at 20:34, Szymon Matuszczak <szy.mat2@gmail.com> wrote:

> I saw your post on the list regarding the alive-ness of Goptical and your
> fork, but haven't replied because of some reason. I don't know is it dead or
> not, I've joined the list about year ago when I was looking for some software
> that would allow to simulate phase-shift laser beam cancelation.
> Unfortunately GNU Optical isn't suitable for this task. By the way, how deep
> are modifications in your fork and would it be able to do such thing in the
> future?

Hi Simon,

I am currently focusing on basic optical stuff - my interest is in
photographic lenses primarily. I am a beginner when it comes to
optics. So far my goal has been to test and verify that GNU optical
can do basic stuff correctly. This is harder to do than one would
think because no two software products appear to agree on the numbers
- and I don't have access to a commercial package such as Zemax or
OSLO that I can compare results with. I am also interested in
calculating lens aberrations - again primarily to analyse photographic
lenses.

The work I have done so far is mainly around adding support for
aspheric lenses - as commonly found in patent literature.
I am also modernizing the code and making it work on Windows, Linux
and Mac OSX but this is mainly just refactoring.

I would recommend looking at the various Python based products for
what you need:

https://github.com/quartiq/rayopt
https://github.com/mperrin/poppy
https://github.com/GNiendorf/tracepy
https://github.com/Sterncat/opticspy
https://github.com/mjhoptics/ray-optics
https://github.com/cihologramas/pyoptools

Perhaps one of these has what you require.

Regards
Dibyendu