gotmail-list

Re: [gotmail] Getting emails that aren't mine

From: paul cannon
Subject: Re: [gotmail] Getting emails that aren't mine
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 13:33:53 -0600

On Mon, Oct 13, 2003 at 11:39:31AM +0100, Ben Staniford wrote:
> Hmm...Since writing the above something occurred to me, I wondered if
> gotmail was downloading things from my deleted mail folder that hotmail

It's possible, although in the past gotmail has been unable to download
mail from the Deleted folder. There were some small differences in the
html, if I remember, which no one bothered to work out.

That may no longer be the case, and it may be getting parsed out as one
of the user's normal folders. I do not think that this is happening,
though.

> automatically fills with crap from people I don't know.  I logged into
> hotmail and found that the deleted mail folder was empty (never happens)
> so either gotmail deleted it all or downloaded it.  One thing remains
> though?  If gotmail just downloaded stuff from my deleted mail folder,
> how come the to field on all the emails was to someone else??

There's more than one way to address an email to someone; your address
most likely appears in the Cc field (which you could see) or in the Bcc
field (which you wouldn't see). Most is probably spam.

| paul cannon                                 address@hidden |
|                             http://people.debian.org/~pik/ |