gpsd-users

Re:

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re:
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2021 12:34:42 -0700

Yo Massimiliano!

On Tue, 13 Apr 2021 21:15:30 +0200
Massimiliano Fago <massimiliano.fago@gmail.com> wrote:

> > I expect indoors it needs to be near a window.  But OK outside.
> >

> Yes, near the windows is ok, but sometime lost PPS signal. In my
> application it is in vertical position in a plastic box.

That is a problem.  The antenna must point up, not to the side.

> Most of the time I use the system outdoors but an indoor event could
> happen.

If you are outside, and the antenna is pointing north, it may not see
enough satellites for a 3D fix.

> > "timing" covers a lot of ground.  If your host is a PC, then the
> > best jitter you can get will be on the order of 1 micro second.
> > You can get to around 100 nano seconds on a RasPi.  The differences
> > between the F and T variants are less than that.
>
> My system is based on raspberry pi

So a HAT works for you?

> > > What do you think of these two:
> > > LEA-M8F
> > > LEA-M8T
> >
> > So not point in getting a "T" variant, unless you want some of the
> > other features, like RTCM, subframe data, or raw measurements.  Or
> > use as a frequency reference.
>
> Ok, F variant I think is ok

The LEA-M8F is for controlling an external oscillator.  Otherwise it
is overkill.  It does have flash, for firmware updates and more, but I do
not expect any more updates to the 8-series.

The NEO-M8N is most common, and cheap.

> > > or do you have other suggestions always staying on this price
> > > range, namely 60-70 dollars?
> >
> > RS-232?  3.3V, as a RasPi HAT?  For EU or USA delivery?
>
> Yes RS232 3.3V

Uh, RS-232 is +/- 12V.  It is not 3.3V.  Not the same.  RS-232 will
blow up a RasPi.

> but not raspi hat, I need to integrate it on my PCB
> connecten as a raspi hat.

So you want a bar chip?  Or bare chip on a carrier PCB?

> I'm in Italy and I need EU delivery.
> Sometime the shipping and import cost are prohibitive. I don't know
> where I can buy it in Europe.

Uputronics is Europe, but no longer EU.  I don't know what is available
in EU.  They make a nice NEO-M8Q for 27 Pounds:

https://store.uputronics.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=60_64&product_id=84

That is fine, as long as you do not need the external oscilator option.

RGDS
GARY
        gem@rellim.com  Tel:+1 541 382 8588