gpsd-users

Re: Updates from 3.20 to 3.23

From: Greg Troxel
Subject: Re: Updates from 3.20 to 3.23
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2021 14:52:04 -0400

Charles Curley <charlescurley@charlescurley.com> writes:

> I think it is necessary only when the linker's cache would change,
> i.e. when changing libgpsX version numbers, say from libgps.so.23 to
> libgps.so.29. (Such is the range on Debian. 23 on stock Debian 10
> [Buster], and 29 the latest from the GPSD git repo.) A test for that
> should be feasible. I don't think you need it on a fresh installation.
>
> However, it doesn't take long to run ldconfig. A lazy approach would be
> to run it every time.

I think it needs to be limited to:

  OS/distribution/ known to use ldconfig
  running as root
  no DESTDIR setting (packaging systems often build to staging)

and I'm not really sure this belongs in 'make install' anyway, vs people
who use systems that want ldconfig running it after installation -- but
I'm not clear on existing practice.

As long as it doesn't get run if any of the 3 are false, won't bother
me.