gpsd-users

Re: Updates from 3.20 to 3.23

From: Charles Curley
Subject: Re: Updates from 3.20 to 3.23
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2021 15:19:45 -0600

On Fri, 24 Sep 2021 14:17:25 -0400
Greg Troxel <gdt@lexort.com> wrote:

> Charles Curley <charlescurley@charlescurley.com> writes:
>
> > Perhaps we would all be better served if the installation portion of
> > gpsd's scons included a call to ldconfig. At least, we would be
> > saved repeating that bit of advice every few year on this list.
>
> Only on those operating systems that use ldconfig, and only when run
> as root.

Good points.

A non-root user won't be installing libraries (i.e. copying them to
where the system wants them and looks for them). For that reason, and
to run it only when necessary, I'd put it right after those copy
instructions. However, my lack of python-fu and scons-fu preclude me
even from finding that location.

A good test for whether ldconfig is present or not might be whereis.
Assuming the local system has whereis. I don't know enough about other
systems to answer that one.

Also, how does this affect cross-compilations?

So at this point, my inclination is to not pursue it.

--
Does anybody read signatures any more?

https://charlescurley.com
https://charlescurley.com/blog/