gpsd-users

Re: ✘gpsd 3.23.1 is released!

From: Charles Curley
Subject: Re: ✘gpsd 3.23.1 is released!
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2021 15:48:07 -0600

On Tue, 21 Sep 2021 15:15:03 -0700
"Gary E. Miller" <gem@rellim.com> wrote:

> gpsd 3.23.1 is released.  No ABI or API changes.  Random bug fixes
> from 3.23.

Compiles & runs on Debian 10 (Buster) AMD64. I had the usual systemd
shenanigans we've discussed elsewhere.

Compiles on Debian 11 (Bullseye) i386. Since it is a headerless system,
I did not include any GUI stuff. I installed:

apt-get install scons libncurses5-dev python-dev

and found I also needed:

apt install python3-distutils

Once I did that, I could run "scons && scons check", producing the
following:

scons: done building targets.
WARNING: gpsplot is missing required runtime module matplotlib
WARNING: xgps and xgpsspeed are missing runtime dependencies
WARNING: ubxtool and zerk are missing optional runtime module serial
WARNING: Python2.7 too old (need 3.6): gps/aiogps.py will not be
installed Ensure your PYTHONPATH
includes /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/ WARNING: AsciiDoctor
not found. WARNING: Some documentation and html will not be built.

So I did:

root@white:/usr/bin# rm python
root@white:/usr/bin# ln -s python3 python
root@white:/usr/bin# python --version
Python 3.9.2
root@white:/usr/bin#

and ran "scons -c" to solve the python version issue.

Something in "apt-get install scons libncurses5-dev python-dev" brought
in python2.7-minimal etc., which is probably where the python symlink
came from.

g++ is not required. I think you only need that for libgpsmm.

Also, you want "apt-get install python3-serial", not python-serial.

Another oddity. "scons udev-install" did not install 25-gpsd.rules. A
second run of "scons udev-install" did.

If this makes sens, I'll write a patch for build.adoc. It will mostly
consist of a copy of the Debian (not Ubuntu) Buster instructions.

--
Does anybody read signatures any more?

https://charlescurley.com
https://charlescurley.com/blog/