gpsd-users

Re: NTRIP and iMAX

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: NTRIP and iMAX
Date: Sun, 8 May 2022 11:50:46 -0700

Yo Rick!

On Sun, 8 May 2022 08:03:22 -0400
"Rick Howitt" <southpaw14622@gmail.com> wrote:

> Does gpsd support the NTRIP mount points that provide an iMAX
> correction?

Yes, depending.  gpsd does not support "send GGA" mount points.  All
gpsd does is pass along the RTCM data.  Different iMAX mountpoints send
different RTCM3 packet types, that may, or my not be, sufficient for
your receiver.

One notable case is u-blox, which requires a proprietary RTCM 3 message
that common bas stations, like Leica, Trimble, do not provide.

> I have looked through the code, and not being familiar with the
> intricacies of gpsd and not a proficient reader of C code, I can not
> tell if gpsd sends the needed  lat/lon messages to an iMAX mount
> point that are needed for the mount point to calculate an on going
> iMAX solution.

I think you are referfing to the "send GGA" option that some iMax
NTRIP mount points need.  gpsd does not support that, partly because
the NTRIP specc is proprietary and we do not have a copy.  My local
ORGN can send iMax w/o the "send GGA" requirement.

RGDS
GARY
        gem@rellim.com  Tel:+1 541 382 8588