gpsd-users

Re: Can't get gpsfake/gpsd to work together

From: James Browning
Subject: Re: Can't get gpsfake/gpsd to work together
Date: Fri, 13 May 2022 08:38:57 -0700

On May 13, 2022 04:22, Steven Wawryk <steven.wawryk@acaciasystems.com.au> wrote:

Hi,

I'm developing an application that reads GPS data from gpsd servers.  My development machine has no GPS, so I want to use gpsfake for testing.  I thought it was supposed to work out of the box, but I
just can't get it to work.  I also can't find any similar issue in the FAQ, the troubleshooting section, or with google/duckduckgo - nothing I've found has been helpful.

The versions of gpsd, gpsfake and gpslib are 3.20, as it comes standard with the ubuntu 20.04 repos, but I would have thought that should still all work together.

An example command line with resulting output is:

$ gpsfake -v -l -P 2948 -c 1 output.nmea
Processing output.nmea
gpsd:ERROR: can't bind to local socket /tmp/gpsfake-3691836.sock
gpsd:ERROR: control socket create failed, netlib error -1

Have you tried telling gpsfake to stash the control socket somewhere writable? Adding something like '-o "-F /var/tmp/gpsd.sock"' (minus the single quotes) will kick you to the next issue.

I was running just 'gpsfake -c 0.3 -n -P 2948 ${log}' trying to diagnose this and didn't. We really need to work on our log reading skill.