gpsd-users

Re: Can't get gpsfake/gpsd to work together

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: Can't get gpsfake/gpsd to work together
Date: Mon, 16 May 2022 11:12:55 -0700

Yo Steven!

On Mon, 16 May 2022 07:01:24 +0000
Steven Wawryk <steven.wawryk@acaciasystems.com.au> wrote:

> Thanks for the help Gary.
>
> Comments inline below.
>
> Cheers,
> Steve

Thanks for the help Gary.

Comments inline below.

Cheers,
Steve

--
Steven Wawryk <steven.wawryk@acaciasystems.com.au>

> On Fri, 2022-05-13 at 11:09 -0700, Gary E. Miller wrote:
> > > An example command line with resulting output is:
> > >
> > > $ gpsfake -v -l -P 2948 -c 1 output.nmea
> > > Processing output.nmea
> > > gpsd:ERROR: can't bind to local socket /tmp/gpsfake-3691836.sock
> > > gpsd:ERROR: control socket create failed, netlib error -1
> > > Traceback (most recent call last):
> > >   File "/usr/bin/gpsfake", line 319, in <module>
> > >     test.run()
> > >   File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/gps/fake.py", line 737, in run
> > >     raise TestSessionError("daemon died")
> > > gps.fake.TestSessionError
> >
> > "can't bind to local socket" is a permission error.  Maybe you have
> > AppArmour, or SELinux, or some "seceurity" thing going.  Be sure those
> > are OFF.  Also try as root.
> >
> > Maybe also check that your /tmp is drwxrwxrwt
>
> Thanks!  Looks like it's apparmor.  This has taken me down a bit of a
> rabbit hole with apparmor.

Please file a bug report with your upstream.  Help your distro not
confuse any more poor users.

This would have been spotted right away if you had sent us the output
of gpsdebugingo run as root.  Get a copy here:

https://gpsd.io/gpsdebuginfo

Please do that next.  That will save a lot of back and forth asking you
what versions of things you have, etc.

> The gpsd install also installed /etc/apparmor.d/usr.sbin.gpsd.

How did you install gpsd?  That is NOT part of the default gpsd install!
I assume you got a package from somewhere?  Somewhere that is not us?

> $ sudo apparmor_parser -R /etc/apparmor.d/usr.sbin.gpsd

Sudo?  Sudon't"

    https://gpsd.io/ubxtool-examples.html#_sudo_sudont

> This gets me over the permission problem, but into the next one, but
> at least it's finally getting somewhere:

We hope.

> $ gpsfake -v -l -P 2948 -c 1 output.nmea

Ambitious to start with, but looks OK.

> Processing output.nmea
> gpsfake: log cycle of output.nmea begins.
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>  File "/usr/bin/gpsfake", line 319, in <module>
>    test.run()
>  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/gps/fake.py", line 755, in run
>    if not chosen.go_predicate(chosen.index, chosen):
>  File "/usr/bin/gpsfake", line 120, in fakehook
>    announce = fakegps.testload.legend \
> TypeError: can only concatenate str (not "bytes") to str

Those line numnbners don't work for me/  Are you using a really old gpsfake?

> Does this error mean anything to you?

Yeah, it looks like you are using a Python2 program under Python3....

Can you try the lates gpsd release (3.24) or gsd from git?
You already showed you package has problems, this looks like anouther one.

RGDS
GARY
        gem@rellim.com  Tel:+1 541 382 8588