Re: (off topic?) Docbook? Re: manlint?

From: Larry Kollar
Subject: Re: (off topic?) Docbook? Re: manlint?
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 2020 22:29:47 -0400

John Gardner <gardnerjohng@gmail.com> wrote:

> Ironically, modern HTML isn't too dissimilar to nroff(1) output.

True. Upon seeing HTML for the first time (around 1986 if IIRC) I was struck
by the similarities between it and the -mm macros.

> … instead of trying to preserve fonts, colours, margins and columns when
> generating an HTML version of a Roff file, forget about such details in
> favour of a separate (hand-written) stylesheet. It doesn't take much CSS to
> establish the look-and-feel of the equivalent PDF output: Here's how I'd
> render mandoc(1)'s manual page in HTML (without actually using mandoc…
> sorry Ingo ;-))
>

>   - Document content
>
> <https://github.com/Alhadis/Stylesheets/blob/efd0e965f0d45839ba0505a7db6dcb7ce17b616e/complete/manpage/example.html>

I don’t suppose that’s a straight conversion… if it is, you’ve pretty much
implemented what James was talking about.

>   - Stylesheet
>
> <https://github.com/Alhadis/Stylesheets/blob/efd0e965f0d45839ba0505a7db6dcb7ce17b616e/complete/manpage/manpage.css>
>
> Here's how it all looks <https://cdpn.io/alhadis/debug/WNwWrOP/bYAdyXEXeXGk>.

Got a “this debug view expired” response. One of the nice things about running
a static website out of S3, you don’t get that kind of garbage. :-P

— Larry