Re: Parallel Typesetting

From: Mike Bianchi
Subject: Re: Parallel Typesetting
Date: Thu, 26 May 2022 16:47:49 -0400

On Thu, May 26, 2022 at 03:54:45PM -0400, Hendursaga wrote:
> > May I suggest formatting side-by-wide text on a single page using  tbl(1) .
> >
> > This will get you the side by side paragraphs (or whatever lumping you
> > want) automagically with only complete lumps on each page.
>
> Thanks for the quick response!
>
> I'm not sure how "rigid" these tables would be, even if on one page
> at a time.  I'm hoping the paragraphs of each language would be of
> comparable length in general, but I doubt that.
>
> ~ Hendursaga

> I'm not sure how "rigid" these tables would be, ...

I think my rough PDF sample shows that groff will format a side-by-side table
item completely on a single page.  If the side-by-side pair do not fit on one
page, they force a page-break to the next one.  The only place where I think
you might have to manually format an item is if one side-by-side table item
takes up _more_ than one page.

--
 Mike Bianchi
 973 822-2085