Re: Warn about long lines

From: Branden Robinson
Subject: Re: Warn about long lines
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2022 07:48:11 -0500

Hi Alex,

On Sun, Aug 21, 2022 at 5:31 PM Alejandro Colomar <alx.manpages@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Would you mind adding a warning about this?

In the long term, it's well worth attempting.

Something I regard as more important, but the resolution of which would
build most of the infrastructure needed to fulfill your request as well,
is a warning if any "drawing" (including placement of text glyphs)
traverses the page boundaries.

Generally speaking, I think people want to know if they're trying to
place formatted output in a place it cannot appear.  To date, as far as
I know, only grotty(1) does anything like this, and only for the top of
the page.

Once that is implemented, having a more narrowly-scoped warning that
treats the page offset + indentation + line length like a "page
boundary" would, I think, be relatively easy to do.  Of course, the
language of the diagnostic would involve "oversetting the line" or
something like that, not "drawing off the page".

I've gotta start kicking things to groff 1.24, or 1.23 will never
happen.

Regards,
Branden