Re: [Bug] \~ can overwrite previous text.

From: G. Branden Robinson
Subject: Re: [Bug] \~ can overwrite previous text.
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2023 07:47:23 -0600

Hi Alex,

At 2023-03-06T14:16:02+0100, Alejandro Colomar wrote:
> Hi Branden!
>
> I only tested this with groff 1.23.0, so I don't know if it's a
> regression or a longstanding bug (I hope they aren't a renewable
> source? :p).

I can reproduce it with groff 1.23.0-HEAD and groff 1.22.4.  So not a
new bug.

Just from eyeballing the behavior, it looks like there is no lower bound
on the size of a "stretchable" ("paddable") space, and there should be.
Or equivalently, the "stretch" should not be permitted to take negative
values.

Thanks for the reproducer.

Looks like this one will need to be scheduled for groff 1.23.1.

Do you have time to file a Savannah ticket for it?

https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?group=groff&func=additem

Regards,
Branden