Re: [Bug] \~ can overwrite previous text.

From: G. Branden Robinson
Subject: Re: [Bug] \~ can overwrite previous text.
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2023 05:20:22 -0600

Hi Alex,

At 2023-03-07T02:15:09+0100, Alejandro Colomar wrote:
> With the above patch, my bug is fixed, but the following test fails:
>
>     XFAIL: tmac/tests/e_footnotes-work-with-columns.sh
>
> which is about <https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?58736>.

Keep in mind that an XFAIL is an _expected_ failure.  So it should have
been XFAILing before you applied your patch.  If it's still XFAILing
now, nothing has changed.

When an XFAIL unexpectedly passes, it is marked in red as an XPASS and
the "make check" target exits with a nonzero status.

https://www.gnu.org/software/automake/manual/html_node/Scripts_002dbased-Testsuites.html

I wouldn't _expect_ what you're changing to have any effect on that
me(7) macro package test; it is concerned with vertical placement of
things, and the code you're experimenting on concerns adjustment of a
single output line.

That said, groff regularly overturns my expectations, especially when I
fiddle with deep internals.  :)

Regards,
Branden