Re: 1.23.0 RC4 status and post-1.23.0 Git branch force-push pending

From: G. Branden Robinson
Subject: Re: 1.23.0 RC4 status and post-1.23.0 Git branch force-push pending
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2023 21:21:42 -0500

At 2023-03-22T17:49:29-0500, G. Branden Robinson wrote:
> This means I have rebased the post-1.23.0 branch against master,
> desyncing it, and I will have to force-push it.  This will make the
> branch more difficult for other people to use.  Sorry about that.  :(

I changed my mind about this, and created a "branden-post-1.23.0" branch
anyway, without changing "post-1.23.0".

> While we're waiting for the 1.23.0 final release to happen, it might
> be better if people create their own branches of master to push their
> work to.  (In the future, I'll use a name like "branden-post-1.23.0"
> for this sort of thing.)
>
> Since that bridge is crossed, I'll also revise the post-1.23.0 branch
> to tidy up the commits as I would with a GitHub-style PR.

This is done, but on the new branden-post-1.23.0 branch, and pushed.

I've organized the commits in the branden-post-1.23.0 branch in the
following order.

1.  Changes that affect only plain text files.
2.  1 + changes to man pages and our Texinfo manual.
3.  2 + changes to test scripts.
4.  3 + changes to Automake/Autoconf files.
5.  4 + changes to Perl scripts.
6.  5 + changes to macro files.
7.  6 + changes to .c and .cpp files.

Subjectively speaking, these are organized by increasing risk.
Personally, I would like to see things up to and including #4 in RC 4,
but it's Bertrand's call.

Regards,
Branden