grub-devel

GRUB 2 and eltorito boot (no emul)

From: Gerardo Richarte
Subject: GRUB 2 and eltorito boot (no emul)
Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 09:52:51 -0300

Hi,
I asked something in the past but got no answer, I'm going to try a different approach.

Suppose I wanted to implement eltorito boot (as for mkiso -b iso/boot/eltorito -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table) for GRUB 2. What do you think would be the best approach? I took a look at GRUB Legacy's eltorito_start and it doesn't think neither too complicated nor too different to boot.S from GRUB 2, give or take a table.

What I mean, is, what do you think I should do in order to implement it in such a way that I don't trash all sources?

Also, if you think I should not need eltorito for making bootable ISOs I'd love to know how to do it (I need to boot with a 700KB kernel and a 20/25 MB module (gziped to 10MB)

   thanks
   gera

PS: My original question was regarding VBE and eltorito, my solution was to implement some extra vbe support for GRUB Legacy, mainly because I needed eltorito, and GRUB 2 doesn't have it...