grub-devel

Re: GRUB 2 and eltorito boot (no emul)

From: Yoshinori K. Okuji
Subject: Re: GRUB 2 and eltorito boot (no emul)
Date: Sat, 13 May 2006 05:12:18 +0200

On Friday 12 May 2006 14:52, Gerardo Richarte wrote:
>     Suppose I wanted to implement eltorito boot (as for mkiso -b
> iso/boot/eltorito -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table) for
> GRUB 2. What do you think would be the best approach? I took a look at
> GRUB Legacy's eltorito_start and it doesn't think neither too
> complicated nor too different to boot.S from GRUB 2, give or take a table.

For now, the easiest way is to use the hard drive emulation mode. This should
work transparently. But I don't know how many BIOSes correctly implement the
emulation.

If you really want to use the no emulation mode, it would be the easiest to
port the feature from GRUB Legacy, as you guess.

FYI, a student might work on this issue in the Summer of Code.

Okuji