grub-devel

Re: configure does not honor CC when testing for -mcmodel=large

From: Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko
Subject: Re: configure does not honor CC when testing for -mcmodel=large
Date: Sat, 26 Sep 2009 16:28:06 +0200

Colin Watson wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 25, 2009 at 03:35:57PM -0700, Seth Goldberg wrote:
>
>>  Ok, setting TARGET_CC to gcc-4.3.2 works around this.  My assumption was
>> that CC was the right environment variable (technically, it is, since I'm
>> not "cross-compiling".
>>

> Any reason not to use --host as well as --target then, so that Autoconf
> knows you want to force a specific host platform? If you do that and the
> values provided for host and target are the same, GRUB's configure
> script won't assume cross-compilation
GRUB is one of rare projects having all 3 platform variables:
build: where gcc is executed
host: where grub-install/grub-emu/... is executed
target: the system which needs the bootloader.
Because sometimes target!=host we need 2 compilers in general case.
Additionally booting environment is different from OS so I would say
that grub2 is always cross-compiled.