grub-devel

Re: Automatically detecting empty configuration variables

From: Didier Spaier
Subject: Re: Automatically detecting empty configuration variables
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2022 17:48:52 +0000

Le 04/10/2022 à 13:28, Alberto Salvia Novella a écrit :
> Greetings boyos!
>
> I have developed a grub configuration file that, instead of asking the user
> manually setting all the grub variables, it figures them out by itself
> automatically.
>
> The file looks like this:
> https://pastebin.com/CUGHnckJ <https://pastebin.com/CUGHnckJ>
>
> I was wondering if that logic could be included in GRUB C code itself. As if
> the
> configuration file misses a variable, GRUB assumes the variable shall be
> guessed
> automatically as in that config file.
>
> If you agree with this change, I can summit a patch.

Hi Alberto,

speaking as a packager and a Linux distribution maintainer, I do not agree with
such a change:
1) I would not make an assumption like "if os-prober is installed, there are
several OS" nor that os-prober should be enabled in that case.
2) More generally it is to the package maintainer or local admin what to include
 by default in /etc/default/grub and up to the user to customize it.
3) In case a distribution does not include grub, I would expect a user wanting
to install it to read "info grub" and edit /etc/default grub as he or she sees
fit.

Best regards,
Didier