grub-devel

Re: GRUB 2.12 release - update

From: Pete Batard
Subject: Re: GRUB 2.12 release - update
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2022 13:42:39 +0100

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for keeping us updated on your the release progress and release plans.

On 2022.10.26 15:52, Daniel Kiper wrote:
We are getting closer to the 2.12 release. Sadly we still do not have
many of important patch sets in the tree. So, I am going to spend more
time on reviews in the following weeks. Below you can find my list of
key patch sets which should land in the release:
   - Dynamic allocation of memory regions and IBM vTPM v2,
   - Unify ARM64 & RISC-V Linux Loader,
   - Add support for LoongArch,
   - plainmount: Support plain encryption mode,
   - Glenn's tests fixes.

Of course all patches which got my RB or are under review will be merged too.

There is also "nice to have" list but I do not consider lack of this
patch sets as release blockers:
   - Add support for EFI file system transposition,

I'm afraid I will have to strongly disagree about this being a mere "nice to have".

Lack of support for EFI file system transposition needs to be considered as blocking as if grub-mkrescue was producing ISOs that *broke* the ability to write them in dd mode. In other words, if someone came to this list and told you that grub-mkrescue in its current state was unable to produce functional ISOHybrid images that can be copied in dd mode, I am pretty sure that it would be treated as a showstopper.

Well, it is exactly that. Except the showstopping happens with the alternative to dd mode.

It is that simple.

And it is exceedingly disheartening for folks who are ultimately advocating for the end-users' welfare (rather than the distro maintainer's welfare, because these two do not always entirely overlap) to see that, yet again, the ability to create ISOHybrid media using EFI file system transposition is being treated as a simple "nice to have" feature, instead of the "SHOULD have equal footing as dd" that it should arguably be viewed as.

In my submission from 2022-06-06, I have provided more than a dozen direct examples of how having a casual approach to EFI File system transposition is very negatively impacting end users, and I could easily pick a dozen more examples that intervened since I submitted the series. So I will kindly remind folks that we're not talking about an alleged or estimated negative impact here. The negative impact of not supporting EFI file system transposition is happening. It is affecting thousands of ISOHybrid end users. And the failure of grub-mkrescue to produce ISOHybrids that can be used in file system transposition mode is going to continue to be a major contributor to it.

So, let me go over the main points yet again, so that, maybe, it'll start to make sense why this issue needs to be treated as as the showstopper it actually is.

1. ISOHybrid should not be seen as nothing more than a "glorified dd image that can also burned to optical" (And I could, again, go over the may reasons that make ISOHybrid as dd less than the panacea that many proponents think it is, such as, for instance, the fact that it is factually impossible to create a *valid* GPT based media from an ISOhybrid using dd, on account that the backup GPT will never ever be written properly [*MUST* reside in the last 23 sectors of the disk], unless you use a media that is the exact same size as the ISO, which is never the case). Instead, users SHOULD be given the *choice* to create bootable media from ISOHybrid using either dd or EFI File System transposition with no nudging by the people who mastered the ISO for one or the other. But current grub-mkrescue is removing that *choice* from end-users, which is showstopper behaviour.

2. One of whole points of UEFI was to do away with the need to write boot media at the block level, to instead write it at the file system level (i.e. EFI file system transposition) because it was identified that writing anything at the block system level was (rightfully) ultimately problematic for end users. Yet what we are seeing is that Linux maintainers (and by extension GRUB maintainers) have done a complete 180 on that promise, by embracing the idea that users everywhere, including ones on platforms where it's super inconvenient (read Windows, but not only) should just use dd to write their boot media, thereby sticking to the old problematic write boot media at the block level, with little or no concern for file system transposition.

3. With GRUB releases being spaced about one year at best, if this is treated as "nice to have" and delayed, we're not going to see file system transposition being supported downstream for at least another year. But the problem is that we are seeing Linux distro maintainers, who were using a mix of Syslinux (for BIOS) and GRUB (for UEFI) [which would usually support or be salvageable when it comes to file system transposition] in the process of switching to GRUB exclusively, and switching to using a grub-mkrescue based process to do just that. This means that, if we don't get file system transposition included in the next release, we're going to get a full year or more of distros switching to unsalvageable grub-mkrescue and completely preventing end-users from using file system transposition to create their boot media, resulting in even more pain than what we're currently seeing. So please be very mindful that we are in an active transition phase (which is how I came to realise that we had a major problem on our hand, as it took a while for the grub-mkrescue limitation to percolate downstream up to the end-user, otherwise I would have sent a patch much sooner) and that any delay we add in fixing this issue will result in more literal years of pain for end users. In other words, if we are actively looking up at what's coming up ahead, it should be clear that time to fix this is now rather than later (because, even if this gets integrated shortly after the next release, a lot of distros tend to stick with dot release with a few patches rather than rolling GRUB git, and they are unlikely to pick this, especially when GRUB is actively cementing the idea that EFI file system transposition is simply "nice to have" instead of the fundamental foundation of creating boot media that is should actually be seen as).

4. While full file system transposition support does also require the involvement of Linux distro maintainers (in its current state, a fixed grub-mkrescue alone is not enough as the ISO masterer must also make sure that the content of the efi.img is dusplicated onto the ISO file system), this last matter is something that can be easily salvaged by forward thinking applications (e.g. Rufus is smart enough to extract the content of efi.img for the user in case it wasn't duplicated on the ISO). But this cannot be salvaged at all, if grub-mkrescue remains in it's current state, which is why the grub-mkrescue issue needs to be addressed as broken behaviour that requires fixing for the next release.

So please please please!!, for the sake of the end-users who are --and will be-- creating GRUB based bootable media everywhere, do make sure that you consider these patches (or any updated version -- I'll be there to work with you on that if needed!) for integration in the next formal release. And do not dismiss EFI file system translation as "nice to have" when it is both a fundamental keystone of the boot media creation process, and GRUB should be seen at the very forefront of promoting it.

Thank you,

/Pete

   - term/serial: Add support for PCI serial devices,
   - Add MMIO serial ports support and SPCR detection,
   - Glenn's gdb patch set.

I hope I will be able to review and merge all patch sets from first list
during November. Then if everything goes well we will make code freeze
in December and release at the beginning of next year, preferably in January.

I am considering to not block merges for tests and documentation during
code freeze.

If you have any comments on that plan please drop me a line.

Daniel