gtktalog-devel

Re: [Gtktalog-devel] Re: GTKatalog

From: Toni Van Remortel
Subject: Re: [Gtktalog-devel] Re: GTKatalog
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 18:31:59 +0200

On Tue, 2003-09-23 at 00:22, Yves Mettier wrote:
> > Hi again,
> >
> > I am not a programmer myself but a cd does have a unique code I think.
> > And mostly it also has a name. For example in GNome when you mount a
> > cd-rom it automatically creates an icon on the desktop and that icon is
> > named with the name of the inserted CD.
> > I will try to find out more, maybe I can help even if I can't code it
> > myself.
>
> Well, you are right. If you put a CD in your CD player and if you are
> connected to the
> net, it also goes somewhere to a CD database and fetch the song names, thanks
> to that
> unique code.
>
> But the question: what is that unique code ? Where to read id ?

The unique code that you mean, is a calculation on the track
information. See
http://www.freedb.org/modules.php?name=Sections&sop=viewarticle&artid=6
for more info.

This only applies to audio CD's (since most data CD's only contain 1
track) and retrieval from CDDB might report multiple Cd's.

--
Toni Van Remortel <address@hidden>