gtktalog-devel

Re: [Gtktalog-devel] command line / text client

From: Lev A. Melnikovsky
Subject: Re: [Gtktalog-devel] command line / text client
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 00:14:09 +0300 (MSK)

Dear Yves, first, thank you very much for this fast response.

  On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 at 12:51pm, Yves Mettier wrote:

> > I wonder if this is difficult (done?) to have a text client to handle
> > gtktalog archives? Most of the times it is very inconvenient to start X
> Yes, we have to redesign GTKtalog for that. However, it is one of the
> next things to do and the command-line tool will be written probably
> before a GUI. Don't expect it for soon, but one day...
Well, I would really prefer some quick solution... Would it be difficult
to add a command line switch to create, e.g., an XML "report" on stdout
and exit without firing up GUI? I would write a perl script to parse it
back to something readable... By the way, gtktalog seems to be _very_ slow
when opening (the speed is normal when you browse/search within an opened
one) a moderate size catalog. Any chance of enhancing efficiency here?

> Have a look on http://sourceforge.net/projects/mcats. This was supposed
> to be the new gtktalog, but it needed too much work to maintain. It
> seems abandonned.
Yes, I have seen it, but gtktalog module is removed from the latest
version and the project does not seem to be maintained :-(.

Regards
-L