Re: Guile uses GNU MP

From: Jim Blandy
Subject: Re: Guile uses GNU MP
Date: 23 Sep 2000 12:25:10 -0500

> > I have changed numbers.(c|h) so that it uses the GNU MP (GMP).  [...]
>
> While I have not looked at your code, I think the move to gmp is the right
> decision for guile.  Thus, I'd like to say thank you very much for the
> work that you have put into this.

It's important to note, however, that GMP is strict GPL, not
GPL-with-exception, like the rest of Guile.  If we make Guile
dependent on GMP, we nullify Guile's GPL exception.  This would be
kind of deceptive to users who think they're getting
GPL-with-exception.

I think we should either ask Richard to add Guile's exception to GMP,
or continue not to use GMP.

GMP is way cool.  I really wish we could use it.  But just dropping it
in immediately is not a good approach.