Re: Guile uses GNU MP

From: Dale P. Smith
Subject: Re: Guile uses GNU MP
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 11:14:02 -0400

Jim Blandy wrote:

> > > I have changed numbers.(c|h) so that it uses the GNU MP (GMP).  [...]
> >
> > While I have not looked at your code, I think the move to gmp is the right
> > decision for guile.  Thus, I'd like to say thank you very much for the
> > work that you have put into this.
>
> It's important to note, however, that GMP is strict GPL, not
> GPL-with-exception, like the rest of Guile.  If we make Guile
> dependent on GMP, we nullify Guile's GPL exception.  This would be
> kind of deceptive to users who think they're getting
> GPL-with-exception.

I would think it should be a configure time option.  Use gmp if
installed, use scm bignums if not.  Or use a configure option to
select.  You might not even want bignum support.

Aren't there similar issues with the readline library?  Would it be a
good idea to select which numeric library at runtime, like what needs to
be done with readline?

-Dale

--
Dale P. Smith