Re: status: separation of expansion/optimization/memoization/execution

From: Dirk Herrmann
Subject: Re: status: separation of expansion/optimization/memoization/execution
Date: Sun, 4 Aug 2002 03:51:01 +0200 (CEST)

On Sat, 3 Aug 2002, Han-Wen wrote:

> address@hidden writes:
> > The effect so far is, that booting guile takes noticably longer (at least
> > 15%), but for example executing the test-suite is almost as fast as before
>
> How do you measure that effectively? I now installed my new-gc guile,
> and starting it up takes as long as it used to (the speed up seems to
> have been disappeared.) Isn't the benchmark suite a much better test?

I measured it using "time guile < /dev/null" and repeated it several
times.  Each time the execution time varies, thus I tried to make out a
general tendency.  And, sure, the benchmark suite would be a better test,
if it contained some relevant benchmarks.  This is, up to now, not the
case.

However, didn't you say that you had some nice benchmark application
called lilypond ;-)  If there was a significant change due to your gc
changes, I believe you would notice it, right?  However, performance
improvements are not the major objective of your current patches, at least
that's what I understand:  IMO the code cleanup is the important point
here.

Best regards,
Dirk