Re: What to do about config.h, etc...

From: Kevin Ryde
Subject: Re: What to do about config.h, etc...
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2003 09:16:45 +1000

Rob Browning <address@hidden> writes:

> After playing with the AC_CONFIG_COMMANDS approach for a while, I
> think I may have to revert to my "generate the public header via a
> small C program at build time" approach.

One approach to prefixing everything in config.h is

  http://www.gnu.org/software/ac-archive/htmldoc/ac_prefix_config_h.html

Seems slightly excessive to me, since public headers probably need
relatively little of a typical config.h.  But covering the whole thing
makes life easier I guess.

> AFAICT there's no way from configure.in to get
> access to the value of something that is only AC_DEFINEd.

Not unless it's also in a cache variable or something.  In the case of
AC_HEADER_TIME that's $ac_cv_header_time.  (Not sure if that variable
is actually documented.  It follows the _cv_ convention though, so
ought to be reasonably stable.)