Re: Block comments and `read-hash-extend'

From: Neil Jerram
Subject: Re: Block comments and `read-hash-extend'
Date: Mon, 04 Jul 2005 23:26:11 +0100

Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Kevin Ryde <address@hidden> writes:
>

>>The manual says the !# is supposed to appear on a line on its own.  Do
>>you think you need it joined on?
>

> I think I should have read the manual more carefully.  ;-)  Indeed, `!#'
> needs to be on a line on its own, so the bug I described above is not an
> actual bug, it's a feature.
>
> Still, I don't understand the rationale behind this and I consider this
> a limitation.  In fact, it's misleading compared to block comments in
> other languages or in SRFI-30.

I agree with you.  I think the rationale for the status quo is actually
just historical accident, reflecting that the support for #! ... !# was
initially designed only for the `#! /usr/local/bin/guile' line at the
beginning of a script file.  But it surely much more useful for #! ...
!# comments to work as you suggest, and I can't see any downside from
making them do so.

        Neil