Re: Future of ice-9/slib.scm.

From: Marius Vollmer
Subject: Re: Future of ice-9/slib.scm.
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2005 16:22:11 +0200

Rob Browning <address@hidden> writes:

> Indeed.  If I felt relatively certain that just calling
>
>       (load-from-slib "guile.init")
>
> would do the right thing with the current SLIB version, then I'd be
> inclined to consider that as a solution, even in 1.6.8, whenever we
> detect a "newer" SLIB[1].

What does SLIB itself say how it wants to be used with Guile?

My impression is that there are two uncoordinated approaches to glue
Guile and SLIB together.  On one side, Guile itself tries to adapt to
SLIB (and we failed to keep this adaptation current), on the other
side, SLIB adapts to Guile.

I'd say that we should keep our side of the glue really minimal.  It
is pretty big and reaches deep into both Guile and SLIB at the moment,
and that is what makes it break over time.

[ Ooops, I just see that in Debian unstable, slib 3a2-2 conflicts with
  guile-1.6-libs 1.6.7-1.1.  Hmm.
]

guile.init from SLIB and slib.scm from Guile seem to have considerable
overlap.  I'd say we should remove that overlap from our slib.scm.

If we know that this will break older versions of SLIB for sure, and
those older versions are not _that_ old, we can try to keep them
working.  But if don't know now, or those versions are really old
indeed, we can take care of them as needed.

But I'd say that now it is important to get current versions of Guile
working with current versions of SLIB.  Everything else is optional.