Re: GPT-4 knows Guile! :)

From: tomas
Subject: Re: GPT-4 knows Guile! :)
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2023 09:14:01 +0100

On Sat, Mar 18, 2023 at 08:55:03AM +0100, Mikael Djurfeldt wrote:
> >    1. Install Guile:
>

> > > csharp
> >   ^^^^^^
> > >
> > > sudo apt-get install guile-2.2
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > Did it literally write "csharp"? With some fantasy, I guess it
> > is trying to evoke a root shell, but with some malice, I'd say
> > Microsoft is sleazily touting some product of theirs.
> >

> No, in the browser the bash lines were presented in windows which had the
> text "bash" in the title bar, but GPT-4 is a bit sloppy in that text can
> "leak in" from other documents, so the first two windows had the title
> csharp instead of bash.

Actually, I think those were associating the convention of suggesting
a root shell prompt by a '#', aka a "sharp sign". Given the flooding
of ghithub with csharp, the thing probably dreamt up the "c" before
the "sharp". Note that those are exactly the two lines you would
execute as root (not that I would ever execute a command suggested
by ChatGPT as root,mind you).

This is what I was hinting at with that pastiche of Hanlon's Razor
and Clarke's Third Law. If you're doing statistical "AI", no harm
is provably intended. But the dice might be loaded ;-)

>  When I then just marked a region in the browser and
> copied, the text from the title windows got copied too (and *I*, being a
> bit sloppy, didn't notice it :).

Those small details are the interesting parts. :-)

Cheers