Re: dynamic-link and LD_LIBRARY_PATH

From: Anthony W. Juckel
Subject: Re: dynamic-link and LD_LIBRARY_PATH
Date: 17 Dec 2001 13:29:45 -0600

On Mon, 2001-12-17 at 11:08, Bill Gribble wrote:
[...snip...]
> The "File not found" error does NOT necessarily mean that the file was
> not found.  What it means is that lt_dlopen was not able to find a file
> that it could successfully open.  This means either that there's no
> library named whatever you specified, OR all libraries with matching
> names could not be dlopen'ed.  Libraries may be un-dlopenable if they
> have unresolved external symbols.
>
> If you force a .so file to be opened, you must have already dlopened any
> other shared libs that the .so needs symbols from or you will see a
> "File not found" error.

This does indeed seem to be the case.  Thank you very much.

> If you open the .la file instead of the .so, or better yet don't specify
> any extension at all, you'll have a better chance of getting the libs
> you need loaded automatically.  Assuming that the person who built the
> library actually linked it against everything it needs.
>
> b.g.

So, the remaining questions is, how to get around this.  After doing an
nm on the requisite shared library, I'm definitely seeing many undefined
procedures, so how do I figure out which libraries are needed?  Is there
any reason to not link a shared library against all of its required
libraries?

Anthony W. Juckel