Re: updated $workbook/modules/modules-and-shared-libs.text

From: Bill Gribble
Subject: Re: updated $workbook/modules/modules-and-shared-libs.text
Date: 21 May 2002 17:30:48 -0500

On Tue, 2002-05-21 at 16:16, Thien-Thi Nguyen wrote:
> [ttn: The "without much hassle" is unfounded, unfortunately.  The
>       guile-1.4.x system supports C++ encapsulation of a "module"
>       as a C++ object, and two-phase protocol for use: registration
>       before libguile is initialized, and then run-time loading as
>       described above.  Registry manipulation is supported.  None
>       of this is available w/ guile-1.6.x.]

Really?  It's my understanding that the 1.4 behavior can be effectively
reproduced in 1.6 by installing a trivial Scheme module stub that does
something like the following:

 (define-module (foo bar))
 (define *foobar-C-lib* (dynamic-link "my-C-lib"))
 (dynamic-call (dynamic-func "my_module_init_func") *foobar-C-lib*)

I have only done this a couple of times, and only in 1.4, so I'm not
certain that it does what I think it does completely.  But it seems like
it could readily be made to work, and provides all the functionality of
the old behavior.

Am I totally wrong about that?

b.g.