Re: macros, procedure->macro

From: Rob Browning
Subject: Re: macros, procedure->macro
Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2002 16:30:01 -0500

Dirk Herrmann <address@hidden> writes:

> That is, if we plan to split up syntax transformation,
> compilation/memoization and execution, we could not remove "acros"
> and "macros" from the execution, since they may behave differently
> every time the same code is executed.
>
> I therefore strongly suggest to get rid of "acros" and "macros".  As
> a first step, I suggest to get rid of "macros" and their
> scheme-level representative procedure->macro

Presuming I'm remembering my most recent look in to this stuff
correctly (about 6 mos ago), I believe you're right, but Marius may
have further comments.

> If all results are positive, I will go ahead and remove the support
> for "macros" from guile.  After that, I will take a close look at "acros"
> and we will play a similar game with "acros" again...

It may also be important to consider pssyntax (i.e. syntax-case,
etc.).  In the end I'd like to have one unified macro system whose
behavior and interactions with the rest of guile are very clear.

Thanks

--
Rob Browning
Previously @cs.utexas.edu