Re: Guile and gwave

From: tomas
Subject: Re: Guile and gwave
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 09:02:33 +0200

On Wed, Apr 23, 2003 at 03:30:03AM +0000, Rui Cheang wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> Gwave is desired to be installed on my RedHat 8.0 Linux system.  But it
> completely fail.  First it complain the the missing of guile-gtk-0.19, then
> i install the source code of it.

There is no Red Hat package for that?

>                                  Then i configure gwave, however, the
> warming errors are terrible that causes gwave can't be installed when i
> check by which command.   Would should I do?  Is Redhat 8.0 ever ready for
> the guile-gtk-0.19 stuff?  Could u tell me?

There should be a way. Are you trying to install everything off source?
Which are the versions of gwave, guile and GTK you have?

> Do i need to try the rpm ones of them?  Can it improve the installation?

That might. But you have to ensure a few things:

  - the versions of stuff you install must play nicely together
    (usually there are READMEs or similar texts to help you with that).
  - If you install part of the things off RPM (e.g. GTK) and others off
    source, the `developer' part of the RPM install should be there as
    well (sometimes packages are split in a `user' package with all you
    need to run programs and a `developer' package, with all you need to
    compile things against this package).

> However, do i need to re-install my redhat system once more?

No, I don't think  so.

>                                                              How can i
> remove the original guile-gtk and gwave source code complete instead of
> re-install my Redhat system ?

You unpacked the package with `tar xzvf package.tar.gz', then went into
the directory, then invoked `./configure', then `make', then `make install'?

If the answer is ``yes'' then you just have to change into this directory
again and invoke `make uninstall'.

If the answer is ``no'', then we'd have to know how exactly you installed
those packages. May be find a friendly local Red Hat hacker.

Hope that helps
-- tomas