Re: Guile is a great idea, but where's the community?

From: Richard Todd
Subject: Re: Guile is a great idea, but where's the community?
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2003 11:02:05 -0600

Neil Jerram wrote:
 1. It may involve some ideas previously discussed under the name of
    "GUMM", but I shouldn't worry too much about that - what we really
    need is for someone to just _do_ something, that can then be
    incrementally refined with usage.

I agree, and have already started to a degree. I've been making guile ports of modules from perl and python that I find useful. I posted ansi-color last night in an attempt to show that it can be pretty easy to do. In early January, I'll set up a project on Savannah for the project.

I'll also be contacting authors of modules I'd like to pull in over the next couple weeks, but there could be lots of good code that I don't know about. So, the best thing people wanting to help in the near term can do is:
  1) point me to modules that you think should be incorporated
  2) implement modules that don't exist, but should be incorporated.
     (Many of these don't take much time; It's just work that has yet to
      be done.)

I'm just going to throw a start at it on the server, and get a mailing list started so we can hash out things like how the modules should be organized, how we want to manage releases and backwards compatibility, etc.

I'd like to have a 1.0-type release in 6 months (because June 1 is my birthday...I've worked in software too long to believe in estimating coding work!) This would mean that we are stable with respect to how we want the project to run, and have some initial set of modules incorporated and documented. After that it should be just add, add, add, release 1.2, add, add, etc.

Richard Todd