Re: SCM_LENGTH ???

From: Greg Troxel
Subject: Re: SCM_LENGTH ???
Date: 10 Jan 2005 15:59:27 -0500

  1.4 is adequate for my needs (though I agree it is old enough to
  not worry about anymore).  So, I want to build to an interface that
  works for either 1.6 *or* 1.8 and I would really hope for binary
  compatibility between them as well.  Once 1.6.x has been dormant
  for a couple of years, *then* one can stop fretting over clients
  still using the thing.

Note that it is now - when a 1.7 release is happening that we can say
to those running 1.4 "you really should upgrade".  Until a few months
ago NetBSD pkgsrc compiled gnucash with 1.4.   Infrastructure is slow
to migrate.

The real issue is that we want people to use guile, and thus have to
be better about backwards compat than it might seem at first glance.

For me, it's source-level compat - I have no expectation of running
the same binary with with 1.6 or 1.8 shlibs.

--
        Greg Troxel <address@hidden>