Re: Another load path idea

From: Neil Jerram
Subject: Re: Another load path idea
Date: Sat, 04 Feb 2006 16:44:59 +0000

> Hi,
>
> Kevin Ryde <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> address@hidden (Ludovic Courtès) writes:
>>>
>>> (i) a config file holding the default value of `%load-path',
>>
>> If you really want to add something, just load an /etc/guilerc at
>> startup.
>
> Sorry, I don't really understand how what you says differs from what's
> written above.

OK, let's proceed with the minimal first step of supporting an
optional config file,
$sysconfdir/guile/${EFFECTIVE-VERSION}/load-path.scm, which just
contains the load path (as a list of strings).

If this file doesn't exist, behaviour is unchanged from what it is
now.  If it does exist, it overrides the built-in load path.

That will allow sysadmins to set whatever load path they want, and
whoever wants to to play with coding more automatic mechanisms.

>>> (ii) a script to manipulate that file (i.e., to add/remove
>>> directories from it).
>>
>> Leave that to later.  See if anyone is actually doing stuff so much
>> crazy stuff it needs automation.
>
> Really, manipulating a list or an alist, reading and writing to/from a
> file is something achievable I think.  ;-)

True, but we don't lose anything by taking one step at a time.

      Neil