Re: ice-9 and $GUILE_LOAD_PATH

From: Dave Pawson
Subject: Re: ice-9 and $GUILE_LOAD_PATH
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 08:05:05 +0000

Hi Neil.

Neil Jerram wrote:

Yes, indeed, sorry about that.  The incorrect doc was in 1.8.1 through
1.8.3, but has been removed now from 1.8.x CVS, so will no longer be
misleading people in 1.8.4.

Thanks. When's that to be put up on the website please?

elisp?

Yes.  guile-debugging is a slight misnomer, because it actually
provides (or tries to) two overlapping things:

The two things overlap, because one of the nicest bits (IMHO :-)) is
how Emacs displays the Scheme stack when stopped at a breakpoint, and
allows easy navigation of it.

I seldom cease to be amazed at just what emacs can do!

And the documentation link http://www.ossau.uklinux.net/guile-debugging
is 404.

I'm sorry, I've put something up now at
http://www.ossau.uklinux.net/guile-debugging that hopefully makes
sense, and links to the correct doc.

Thanks.

Bug reported, but one from 2005 is still not assigned.

Thanks for raising your bug.  The others aren't assigned because I'm
(so far) the only developer, so there isn't much point.

Ah! Reading the bug submission page it does look as if it's a dead project?

I'm assuming it needs to be dropped within the same 'ice-9' area
to be picked up by the environmental variable.

guile-debugging could be installed anywhere, so long as you add the
install location to your GUILE_LOAD_PATH.  In practice, it's most
convenient to install it somewhere that's already in the standard
GUILE_LOAD_PATH, i.e. /usr/local/share/guile/site or
/usr/share/guile/site (depending on the prefix that Guile was
built).

Ah! /guile/site I'm guessing works the same as site-lisp in emacs
then? Thanks. I'll use that.

I couldn't find any documentation on setting GUILE_LOAD_PATH, then
when it 'failed' to load the debug as defined in the documentation
I presumed I'd done it wrong.

regards

--
Dave Pawson