Why is guile still so slow?

From: John Lewis
Subject: Why is guile still so slow?
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2011 10:54:11 -0400

I don't understand while Guile is so slow. According to these
benchmarks
http://www.cs.utah.edu/~mflatt/benchmarks-20100126/log3/Benchmarks.html
GNU Guile is running about a order of magnitude slower than Bigloo,
Chicken, Gambit, Ikarus, Larceny, MIT, and Racket(PLT) with most task.
I am asking why? Are the benchmarks wrong? Is it to keep it portable
and embeddable? No matter the reason, unless the benchmarks aren't
accurate and Guile is faster than it seems, the sluggishness of Guile
is going to make it impossible to use to for application development
no matter how Ubiquitous Guile currently is.