Re: GNU Guile community in google+

From: Nikita Karetnikov
Subject: Re: GNU Guile community in google+
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2013 21:00:50 -0500

Hi,

This thread misses the point.  Because there are two separate issues:

1. Is it OK to use non-free and centralized services?

I'm not going to explain why it's not OK in detail.  But I'd like to
point out that if you use such a service, you encourage others to do
the same.

Here is an example:

> I think that Guile probably could engage with users who are already on
> proprietary social networks, in a kind of announcement-oriented way, but
> I agree that we as a project shouldn't try to build a community there.
> Perhaps we could have someone manage "official" accounts for Guile on
> these services and link them up to re-post things from our news feed.

It's hard to change old habits that's why there /will/ be a community.
Instead of discussing Guile there, we should explain why it's not
ethical to use such networks.

2. How to promote Guile.

It's important to identify why you want to promote Guile.  For instance,
if you want to educate newcomers, you can write a howto or improve the
manual.  Then you can share your work using ethical services and start a
discussion.

Nikita