Re: Sabotage against guile users?

From: Roland Orre
Subject: Re: Sabotage against guile users?
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2013 23:12:35 +0200

Hi Alexi,
thanks for your reply.
The builds works fine, but when loading the module, e.g.
(use-modules (bcpnn2))
which contains
(load-extension (string-append bcpnn2-path ".libs/libbcpnn" "scm_init_bcpnn")
I get the error message
./bcpnn2.scm:13:1: In procedure dynamic-link in _expression_ (load-extension (string-append bcpnn2-path ".libs/libbcpnn") "scm_init_bcpnn"):
./bcpnn2.scm:13:1: file: "/home/orre/work/guile/bcpnn-2.1/.libs/libbcpnn", message: "file not found"
despite that directory contains a lot of recently built files like
bcpnn.o bits.o libbcpnn.a libbcpnn.la libbcpnn.lai libbcpnn.so libbcpnn.so.0 mymath.o sets.o time.o user.o
However, I see that on a machine where this still works with guile-1.8.5 I actually call a  bash script which sets LD_LIBRARY_PATH and LTDL_LIBRARY_PATH as well
but the latter only for readline and LD_LIBRARY_PATH only points to guile's libltdl/lib and guile/lib but I haven't checked if these are still necessary.

The main problem is that I've never seen any kind of documentation upon how doing this correct, my only documentation has been e.g
examples/box-dynamic-module/Makefile
which I've utilized and modified, but that no longer exists.

I would be very glad to be hinted about where I can actually find the correct and precise doc for making dynamically loadable modules, which is fundamental for anything I do.
Apart from that I really love guile. I even used the precursor to guile, Aubrey Jaffer's scm before guile, in a similar manner, but at that time I had to statically link scm  with my extensions.