Re: Guile status. Some questions to adopt usage as embedded game.

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Guile status. Some questions to adopt usage as embedded game.
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2014 21:50:08 +0100

Hi,

Germán Diago <address@hidden> skribis:

> 1.- How mature is Ecmascript support? I don't care much about feature
> completeness, but more about robustness (reasonably bug-free) and ready to
> be used by designers.

The ECMAscript front-end is not mature.  It needs love.  :-)

> 2.- Is there any real project using Ecmascript guile at the moment?

Not that I know of.

> 3.- What is the lua status? Any tentative dates for when it would be
> supported and how good it would be? This is important since in the gaming
> area Lua is the standard scripting language.

It may be better, but hasn’t been merged yet.  I think Ian Price looked
at it a while back.  Ian?

> 4.-  When writing a FFI from C++ functions, I know how guile code will
> look, but I couldn't find any Ecmascript mapping documentation. Any
> pointers where I could find something?

In theory it should be possible to import and use Scheme functions from
ECMAscript.  See
<http://wingolog.org/archives/2009/02/22/ecmascript-for-guile>.

> 5.- (Not too important as of now) There is support for a windows native
> guile? If there is not, can be compiled at least with MinGW (not cygwin)?

Apparently Guile 2.0.11 runs on MinGW.

HTH!

Ludo’.