Re: python on guile

From: Nala Ginrut
Subject: Re: python on guile
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2014 13:43:09 +0800

On Sat, 2014-08-09 at 14:58 +0200, Federico Beffa wrote:
> > On Fri, 2014-05-30 at 23:33 +0200, Stefan Israelsson Tampe wrote:
> >> I would like to hijack the python2/3 community over to guile.
>
> Hi, I'm a user of python which would very much prefer to use Scheme :-)
>
> I just wanted to say that the reason for which a lot of
> engineers/scientists are using python, is because it now provides a
> pretty large set of scientific/engineering and plotting functions with
> the 3 main libraries numpy, scipy and matplotlib. It would be
> fantastic if somehow this functionality could be made available in
> guile :-)

I agree with you, the popular of Python is largely because of some
popular libs.

I'm one of the guys who is interested in hacking multi-lang front-end on
Guile. And I think there're at least two approaches to cut this Gordian
Knot.

1. Make great effort to be compatible with the original Python, even the
C interfaces(maybe a wrapper or refactor the C part with Guile CAPIs).
And recompile the whole numpy/scipy/matplotlib with guile-python. This
would be the fantastic and idealism way. But challenging.
One of the reasons is whether our brand new CPS-based backend (in master
branch) is suitable for Python language would be suspended. In
principle, it's suitable for FP languages especially continuation-based
one. But it's worth to try anyway.
The difficulty contains both workload and indeterminacy.

2. Write Guile own libs for the same purpose of numpy/scipy/matplotlib,
and users may call the related modules from Python code. I have to
emphasize that any language implemented on Guile could call the modules
written with other languages, if it's on Guile too.
This is also challenging. But IMO, the difficulty of this way contains
workload only.

These are my ideas. And I'd like to try the first way because of my
hacking habit.
But the most significant thing is to make the latest Guile-2.2(in master
branch) better than before. I'm trying to rewrite guile-lua on
Guile-2.2, but it's in a slow progress since there're lot of new stuffs
need to learn.

Any ideas?

Best regards.