Re: Entering the interactive debugger

From: mhw
Subject: Re: Entering the interactive debugger
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2014 09:57:38 -0400

Carlos Pita <address@hidden> writes:

> Thank you very much, Dave!
>
>> Couldn't you just use (error)?  It will enter the debugger if run from
>
> I'm doing exactly that, but then there is the limitation that this
> would be postmortem debugging and sometimes I want to suspend
> execution, examine the environment, and *resume* execution.

You can set breakpoints using the ",break" or ",break-at-source" REPL
commands.  See ",help debug" for more info.

For now, to achieve the effect you desire, you could create a procedure
that simply returns the value of some global variable.  Set a breakpoint
on that procedure, and then use that procedure as your "enter debugger"
procedure.  If you want it to resume execution, set the global to your
desired value and continue.

I agree that it would be nice to include a procedure in Guile that does
this more nicely.

      Mark