Re: Running script from directory with UTF-8 characters

From: Marko Rauhamaa
Subject: Re: Running script from directory with UTF-8 characters
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2015 21:18:28 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>:

>> From: Marko Rauhamaa <address@hidden>
>> The Linux kernel just doesn't care, and shouldn't.
>
> Guile is not an OS kernel. Guile is an environment for writing
> applications. On the application level, you _should_ care, or else you
> won't be able to manipulate file names in meaningful ways.

To me, a programming language is a medium of writing programs for an
operating system. I don't think a programming language should "shield"
me from the OS. Instead, it should make the whole gamut of the OS
facilities available to me.

>> I'm not saying bytevectors are elegant, but we should not replace
>> them with wishful thinking.
>
> No need for wishful thinking. Study what Emacs does and do something
> similar.

Why don't you tell me already what emacs does?

>> Guile 1.x's and Python 2.x's bytevector/string confusion was actually
>> a very happy medium. Neither the OS nor the programming language
>> placed any interpretation to the byte sequences. That was left to the
>> application.
>
> And that is wrong. Applications cannot handle that, they need some
> heavy help from the infrastructure.

That can be managed through support libraries.

Marko