Re: How to make GNU Guile more successful

From: Matt Wette
Subject: Re: How to make GNU Guile more successful
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2017 17:31:06 -0800

Scheme is not for everyone.  But getting more people to use it is going to mean
people seeing what it offers over other languages.  I do a fair amount of
Python programming.  Python code is fairly portable: my Mac comes with it
installed and so I can send code to anyone with a Mac and it will probably run.
 Python also has a *huge* set of libraries.  Writing extension code (in C) for
Python sucks, though.  And Python `lambda’ is weak.

And Python does not work well on tasks that Scheme excels at: tree structures,
little-languages, list processing, etc.  If you want more people to use
Scheme/Guile you need to write applications that demonstrate it’s strengths
over other languages.  I know of nothing that beats Scheme macros for building
your own language extensions: that capability is so awesome.   And Scheme looks
pretty promising to me for handling XML-based tree structures (e.g., SXML with
foldts and friends).

Matt