Re: Question about an error with ports

From: Maxime Devos
Subject: Re: Question about an error with ports
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2022 13:11:21 +0100

Olivier Dion via General Guile related discussions schreef op do 10-03-
2022 om 18:46 [-0500]:
> I haven't check the implementation details, but I think it's just a
> question of buffering.  `get-bytevector-n` will block just like
> `get-bytevector-some` when the port is empty.  The former will return up
> to N bytes and the latter might return more than N bytes.

I don't think that get-bytevector-some can return more, and it could
return less:

     Return either [...] or a new bytevector containing some of the
     available bytes (at least one),

Also, gnunet-scheme depends on the behaviour of it (*) being able to
return less without blocking (in gnu/gnunet/utils/tokeniser.scm).  If
the behaviour was different, there would have been many test failures.

(*) actually, it uses the variant 'get-bytevector-some!' instead of
'get-bytevector-some'.

Greetings,
Maxime.