guix-devel

Re: emacs-lucid (was Re: Emacs closure at ~900MB?)

From: Mark H Weaver
Subject: Re: emacs-lucid (was Re: Emacs closure at ~900MB?)
Date: Sat, 26 Sep 2020 12:32:25 -0400

Hi,

Giovanni Biscuolo <g@xelera.eu> writes:

> Given the size "issue" of emacs-with-gtk and the emacs warning on the
> long standing Gtk+ bug:

> Warning: due to a long standing Gtk+ bug
> https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gtk/issues/221
> Emacs might crash when run in daemon mode and the X11 connection is
> unexpectedly lost.
> Using an Emacs configured with --with-x-toolkit=lucid does not have this
> problem.

> IMHO it's useful to have emacs-lucid in official Guix, with subsitutes
> available for end users (I'm not using emacs in daemon mode over X11
> over SSH for fear of chrashes).

FYI, our 'emacs-no-x-toolkit' package has a closure size of 390.9 MiB
and does _not_ have the Gtk bug described above.  That's why I use it.

Are there additional benefits to 'emacs-lucid' that are not already
addressed by 'emacs-no-x-toolkit'?  I'm not necessarily opposed to
adding another Emacs variant, but I don't yet understand the motivation.

      Thanks,
        Mark