guix-devel

Re: Hello from new Outreachy applicant

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: Hello from new Outreachy applicant
Date: Fri, 9 Oct 2020 10:01:10 +0200

Dear,

On Fri, 9 Oct 2020 at 05:40, Lulu <me@erkin.party> wrote:

> > Have you already tried GNU Guix?  The package manager on foreign
> > distro?  The full Guix System?
> > If yes, are you comfortable with?  Feedback is very welcome. :-)
>
> I tried Guix on a foreign distro but ran into some problems with
> SELinux and locales. Do you recommend using GuixSD on a virtual
> machine, or do you think a foreign installation would be easier for
> development? I reckon a setup for internal development wouldn't be
> the same as a setup for the end-user. I think I might need to work
> directly from the trunk, so maybe I need to get familiar with
> `guix environment' for testing? I'd appreciate some tips on this.

I am using the Guix package manager on the top of Debian; installed
via the Binary Install.  Let's refer to Guix as the package manager.
:-)  The nice point with Guix is the flexibility and hackability for
the end-user.  Once you are familiar with [1], the next natural step
is:

  git clone https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git
  cd guix
  guix environment guix --pure
  ./bootstrap
  ./configure --localstatedir=/var/
   make -j 4 # whatever number fits your machine

Then you have a fresh compiled Guix that you can run with:

   ./pre-inst-env guix help

But don't cut the corners.  The first step is to have a working Guix.

Which distro do you use?  About the locales, if you start a thread on
help-guix@gnu.org describing your problem, then the setup will be
fine. :-)
About SELinux, I do not know... I do the job on the foreign distro
side.  You could ask about specific issue on 'help-guix' or folks on
#guix will advice you.

[1] https://guix.gnu.org/manual/devel/en/guix.html#Getting-Started

> > Well, last but not least, what topic you may be interested in to work on?
>
> I decided on the task to add a `guix git log' subcommand, out of the
> two tasks on the Outreachy page. :-) [1]
>
> Aside from that, can you tell me more about how this mentorship
> process works? Is there a regular schedule with meetings or progress
> reports or such?

Nice!

Basically, the key to success is communication.   Raise the hand _as
soon as possible_.

Then my advice is: everyday log what you are doing.  It may be only
one or two lines, sometimes more.  Once a week (at least), collect the
items and send me (privately) maybe with some patches or a branch to
pull for testing.  The idea is to know your progress and your blocking
points and then help you.  On a weekly or bi-weekly basis, voice (or
video) chat with any mean which suits you (especially your timezone).

> [1]:
> https://www.outreachy.org/outreachy-december-2020-internship-round/communities/gnu-guix/#add-a-subcommand-showing-gnu-guix-history-of-all-p

All the best,
simon