guix-devel

Re: Add Microsoft Cascadia Code font?

From: Leo Prikler
Subject: Re: Add Microsoft Cascadia Code font?
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2021 11:38:16 +0100

Hi Yasu,

I don't think it'll be so simple.  It appears, that nerd-fonts already
includes – or at least has the potential to include – some non-free
glyphs, which would in turn then be part of Cascadia.  An instance
would be pomicons [1], which are licensed as CC BY-NC-ND.  A reviewer
would first have to verify, that Cascadia is indeed wholly covered
under the OFL or at least under a set of free licenses.

Yes, it sucks having to put that much effort into packaging a font, but
if you just want to have a workable font for programming, there are
probably better solutions than Cascadia, some of which are already
packaged in Guix – e.g. font-fira-code.

Regards,
Leo

[1] https://github.com/gabrielelana/pomicons